Complete CV is available as a .pdf here [last updated 03 Aug 2017]
Ph.D: Astrophysics. University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, 2014
"Gas flows in interacting galaxies: a multiwavelength study". Supervisor: Sara L. Ellison
Bachelor of Arts: Physics with Astronomy Emphasis (Honors) & French and Francophone Studies. Macalester College, St. Paul, MN, 2009
Internships & Work Experience
- Assistant Professor, Oberlin College, Department of Physics & Astronomy, 2017 - present
- Research Fellow, University of Sussex, Astronomy Centre, Department of Physics & Astronomy. 2014 – 2017
- Research Assistant, University of Victoria, Department of Physics & Astronomy. 2009 – 2014
- TA: University of Victoria, Astronomy 101 & 102. 2009 - present
- TA: Macalester College, Phys 226, Phys 227, Phys 331 marker. 2007-2009
- Internship: Institut d’Astrophysique Spatiale, Orsay, France. Oct-Dec 2008
Honors & Awards
- University of Sussex Public Engagement Impact Award Special Commendation, June 2016
- SEPnet Public Engagement Newcomer Award, Oct 2015
- Academic Income Supplement Award for Research Progress, May 2012
- Best Astronomy Laboratory Instructor, January 2012
- Graduate Student Committee Award for Best Student Talk, Canadian Astronomical Society/Société Canadienne d’Astronomie Annual Meeting, 2011
- University of Victoria Graduate Student Fellowship, 2009
- Hélène Peters Prize for Study In a French-Speaking Country, 2009
- Robert & Jean Gilruth Endowed Scholarship, 2008-2009
- Girl Scout College Scholarship, 2005
- Girl Scout Gold Award, 2005
- HELP: XID+, The Probabilistic De-blender for Herschel SPIRE maps, P.D. Hurley, S. J. Oliver, Jillian M Scudder, M Betancourt, S Duivenvoorden, D. Farrah, M. Griffin, E. Le Floc’h, A. Papadopoulos, M. Sargent, M. Vaccari, I. Valtchanov, L. Wang, 2017, MNRAS, 464, 885.
- HELP: star formation as function of galaxy environment with Herschel, S. Duivenvoorden, S. J. Oliver, V. Buat, B. Darvish, A. Efstathiou, D. Farrah, M. Griffin, P. D. Hurley, E. Ibar, M. Jarvis, A. Papadopoulos, M. Sargent, D. Scott, Jillian M. Scudder, M. Symeonidis, M. Vaccari, M. Viero, L. Wang, MNRAS, 462, 277.
- The multiplicity of Herschel 250 μm sources in the COSMOS field, Jillian M. Scudder, Seb J. Oliver, Peter D. Hurley, Matt Griffin, Mark T. Sargent, Douglas Scott, Julie L. Wardlow, Lingyu Wang, 2016, MNRAS, 460, 1119.
- HerMES: ALMA Imaging of Herschel-selected Dusty Star-forming Galaxies, R. S. Bussmann, D. Riechers, A. Fialkov, Jillian M. Scudder, C. C. Hayward, W. I. Cowley, J. Bock, J. Calanog, S. C. Chapman, A. Cooray, F. De Bernardis, D. Farrah, Hai Fu, R. Gavazzi, R. Hopwood, R. J. Ivison, M. Jarvis, C. Lacey, A. Loeb, S. J. Oliver, I. Perez-Fournon, D. Rigopoulou, I. G. Roseboom, Douglas Scott, A. J. Smith, J. D. Vieira, L. Wang, J. Wardlow, 2015, ApJ, 812, 43.
- Galaxy Pairs in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey - X. Does gas content alter star formation rate enhancement in galaxy pairs?, Jillian M Scudder, Sara L Ellison, Emmanuel Momjian, Jessica L Rosenberg, Paul Torrey, David R Patton, Derek Fertig, J. Trevor Mendel, MNRAS, 449, 3719.
- Galaxy pairs in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey - VIII: The observational properties of post-merger galaxies, Sara L Ellison, J Trevor Mendel, David R Patton, Jillian M Scudder, MNRAS, 435, 3627.
- Galaxy Pairs in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey - V. Tracing changes in star formation rate and metallicity out to separations of 80 kpc, Jillian M Scudder, Sara L Ellison, Paul Torrey, David R Patton, J Trevor Mendel, MNRAS, 426, 549.
- The dependence of galaxy group star formation rates and metallicities on large scale environment, Jillian M Scudder, Sara L Ellison, J Trevor Mendel, 2012, MNRAS, 423, 2690.
- Galaxy pairs in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey - VI. The orbital extent of enhanced star formation in interacting galaxies, David R Patton, Paul Torrey, Sara L Ellison, J Trevor Mendel, Jillian M Scudder 2013, MNRAS, L110.
- Galaxy Pairs in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey - VII. The merger–luminous infra-red galaxy connection, Sara L Ellison, J Trevor Mendel, Jillian M Scudder, David R Patton, Michael J D Palmer 2013, MNRAS, 430, 3128.
- Galaxy Pairs in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey - IV. Interactions trigger active galactic nuclei, Sara L Ellison, David R Patton, J Trevor Mendel, & Jillian M Scudder 2011, MNRAS, 418, 2043.
- The impact of gas inflows on star formation rates and metallicities in barred galaxies, Sara L Ellison, Preethi Nair, David R Patton, Jillian M Scudder, J Trevor Mendel, & Luc Simard 2011, MNRAS, 416, 2182.
- The Stellar and Gaseous Contents of the Orion Dwarf Galaxy, John Cannon, Korey Haynes, Hans Most, John J Salzer, Kaitlin Haugland, Jillian M Scudder, Arthur Sugden & Jacob Weindling 2010, AJ, 139, 2170.
- Jul 05 2017 – Conference contributed talk: COSMOS Team meeting, Kyoto, Japan
- Apr 07 2017 – Astronomy Colloquium: University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
- Nov 03 2016 – Astronomy Colloquium: University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, UK
- Oct 05 2016 – Astronomy Colloquium: University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
- Jul 04 2016 – Invited Conference: A multi-messenger view of mergers and multiple supermassive black holes, EWASS Special Session 5, Athens, Greece
- Jun 27 2016 – Conference contributed talk: National Astronomical Society 2016, Nottingham, UK
- Mar 04 2016 – The Role of AGN in Galaxy Evolution, Muizenberg, South Africa
- Jan 28, 2016 – Astronomy Seminar: University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- Nov 4, 2015 –Conference contributed talk: MaNGA mini-workshop on galaxy mergers, Taipei, Taiwan
- Oct 21, 2015 – Astronomy Seminar: Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
- Oct 7, 2015 – Astronomy Seminar: University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, UK
- Sep 21, 2015 – Astronomy Seminar: East Asian Observatory Headquarters, Hilo Hawaii, USA
- July 8, 2015 – Conference contributed talk: National Astronomical Society 2015, Llandudno, UK
- June 4, 2015 – Conference contributed talk: Galaxies of many colours, Marstrand, Sweden
- March 9, 2015 – Royal Society South Africa - UK Scientific Seminar Meeting, Oxford, UK
- February 26, 2015 – Astronomy Lunch Seminar: University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
- December 5, 2013 – Natural Sciences Seminar: New College Florida, Sarasota FL, USA
- October 22, 2013 – Astronomy Lunch Seminar: University of Washington, Seattle WA, USA
- September 17, 2013 – Astronomy Lunch Seminar: IPMU - Kavli Institute, Tokyo, Japan
- July 25, 2013 – Conference contributed talk: Physical Processes of Galaxy Formation: Consensus and Challenges, Aix-en-Provence, France
- October 18, 2012 – Physics & Astronomy Colloquium: Macalester College, St Paul MN, USA
- October 2, 2012 – Astronomy Lunch Seminar: IPMU - Kavli Institute, Tokyo, Japan
- October 1 2012 – Galaxies Seminar, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- July 30 2012 – Summer Seminar: University of Victoria, Victoria BC, Canada
- Oct 28 2011 – Conference contributed talk: Galaxy Mergers in an Evolving Universe, Hualien, Taiwan
- June 16 2011 – Science Coffee Seminar: Herzberg Institute for Astrophysics, Victoria BC, Canada
- June 06 2011 – Coffee Seminar: Harvard Center for Astrophysics ITC, Boston MA, USA
- May 31 2011 – Conference contributed talk: CASCA, London ON, Canada
Education & Public Outreach
- Mar 2013 - present – Astroquizzical science blog, 3000+ followers, astroquizzical.com
- Aug 2012 - present – @Jillian Scudder personal Twitter account, begun August 6, 2012, 1400+ followers.
- Oct 2015 - present – Science Contributor for Forbes.
- Oct 2016 - March 2017 – Alfred P. Sloan/Carnegie Mellon University Script Competition Science Advisor
- Nov 09 2016 – Careers Assembly, Brighton & Hove Girls High School, Brighton, UK
- Sep 18 2016 – "Ask the Astronomer" session, Brighton Science Festival, Brighton, UK
- Aug 13 2016 – NineWorlds "Ask the Astronomer" panel organizer, London, UK
- Feb 25 2016 – Nerd Nite Science Festival, Brighton, UK
- Jan 23 2016 – BAHfest London Big Science judge.
- Dec 16 2015 – A-Level Astronomy Masterclass Research Talk, University of Sussex, UK
- Dec 16 2015 – Radio interview, BBC Sussex, UK
- Dec 15 2015 – Radio interview, BBC Sussex, UK
- Dec 02 2015 – Careers Assembly, Brighton & Hove Girls High School, Brighton, UK
- Feb 2015 - Aug 2015 – Contributor to The Conversation UK, http://goo.gl/FzHINu
- Feb 2015 - Oct 2015 – Contributor to the Starts With A Bang collection at Medium, https://medium.com/@Jillian_Scudder
- Sep 21 2015 – Public talk, Visitor Information Station, Maunakea, Hawaii, USA
- Aug 24 2015 – A-level Astronomy Research Talk, University of Sussex, UK
- Jun 15-26 2015 – I'm a Scientist, Get Me Out of Here, http://imascientist.org.uk
- May 29 2015 – Invited delegate: EU Impact (Outreach & dissemination); A space perspective, UCL
- Apr 23 2015 – Nerd Nite Brighton, C aroline of Brunswick, Brighton
- Mar 18 2015 – Ask the Astronomer, Stargazing Live @ University of Sussex
- Mar 07 2015 – Public Talk, Eastbourne Astronomical Society
- Dec 16 2014 – Q&A Session, A-Level Astronomy Masterclass, University of Sussex
- Dec 16 2014 – Research Talk, A-Level Astronomy Masterclass, University of Sussex
- Apr 7 – May 1, 2014 – @AstroCanada Twitter account contributor,
- Feb 25 2014 – 3 Minute Thesis competitor, University of Victoria
- Oct 19 2013 – Ask the Astronomers panel member, GeekGirlCon, Seattle WA
- Sept 30 2013 – Experienced TA panel, TA Workshop, “Dealing with Difficult Dilemmas”
- Mar 8 2013 – Ask an Astronomer booth, Ideafest, University of Victoria
- Jan 9 2013 – Public Talk, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Victoria
Selected Media Publications
Total reach: 1.6 Million+
Total Publications: 100+
Publication venues: Forbes, Medium, The Conversation UK, Quartz.
- "How Come I See Fewer Stars Than I Remember As A Child?" Forbes, Views, 16,000+
- "Will The Voyager Spacecraft Stop?" Forbes, Views: 30,000+
- "Why Is The Expansion Of The Universe Always Drawn Like A Cylinder?" Forbes, Views: 27,000+
- "If The Universe Is Expanding, How Come Galaxies Collide?" Forbes, Views: 19,000+
- "Astroquizzical: What happens when Betelgeuse explodes?" Medium; Starts With A Bang collection, Views: 110,000+
- "The sun won't die for 5 billion years, so why do humans have only 1 billion years left on Earth?" The Conversation UK, Reach: 120,000+
- "How big is the biggest star we have ever found?" The Conversation UK, Reach: 47,000+
Popular science book
- The Universe: A Family History, published by Icon Books. Spring 2018.
- English (Native)
- French (Professional)
- Japanese (Beginner)